4 vehicles that require special insurance coverage

By HUB SmartCoverage Team on December 12th, 2018

Not every transportation vehicle will require the same type of insurance coverage. Since every type of vehicle will have its own set of risks, in most cases they’ll need their own specialty insurance to cover all their particulars.

For example, a boat wouldn’t need the same type of insurance as a 4-wheel SUV, would it?

Today, we’ll go over the most popular alternative vehicles so you know how to properly insure each type.


If you’re a motorcycle rider, you’ll need insurance to drive it on the road. Some insurance companies may limit your payments to driveable months, omitting winter. They'll let the insurance kick back in come summer.

It doesn’t matter if you only drive your motorcycle twice a year, you’ll need to have liability coverage in case you find yourself at fault in a collision or accident. Collision coverage will help cover repairs after an unpredicted loss.

Beyond the motorcycle, you’re going to want to insure dirt bikes and racing bikes. Though these types of vehicles are not traditionally road-worthy, you can still have them covered for unexpected damages.   


Boat coverage is another specialty insurance type required for watercrafts. Liability coverage will go on to protect any guests you may bring out on the water, while transportation insurances will come in handy if anything goes wrong during a car-tow.

If you’re parking your boat in a marina for an extended period of time, the lessor will likely ask for proof of insurance.

Off-road, recreational vehicles

If you’re a die-hard off-roader, you’re going to want to make sure you have insurance coverage for your prized possession. Getting insurance coverage for your ATV, quad, or Spider means you’ll have protection is a guest gets injured, if you damage someone else’s property, or if you need emergency repair on the vehicle after an accident.

Though the law doesn't require it, protecting your big purchase is a smart move, especially given its off-roading function.

RV, Camper, Motorhome

Some auto policies will extend their coverage options to a pull-behind cargo trailer, but not to all of them.

You will need to seek additional coverage in the event your pull-behind camping trailer is damaged, or causes damages. It’s a good idea to contact your insurance provider and add a rider to your auto policy for a camping trailer.

As an independent vehicle, a motorhome will need its own insurance policy, potentially bundled with your primary vehicle’s insurance provider.

Share on social media